Benefits of Walking
- Mind – Improves mood, promotes healthy sleep, and alleviates stress
- Body – Boosts heart health, lowers blood pressure, improves bone strength, and assists in weight loss
How Much Do You Need to Walk for It to Be Effective?
According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, healthy adults should get at least 150 minutes a week of moderate to intense exercise. If this sounds overwhelming, the good news is that even a simple stroll of ten minutes a day will go a long way toward helping you reach your fitness goals. If you end each day with a ten to fifteen-minute walk, you’re already off to a good start.
Tips for Getting in More Walking Every Day
Yes, walking is so easy, and yes, it is SO good for us — but we’re all so busy! So how can we fit walking into our routine?
Here are some tips to add more steps to your day:
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Park further away from the entrance to your work, mall, etc.
- Walk to work if you live close by
- Use a pedometer. It’s been shown to increase motivation, and before you know it, you’ll be coming up with ways to add more steps to your day.
Another Reason to Start Walking
Movement is one of the main factors that increase your quality of life, or QL5. People that enjoy a higher quality of life are usually eligible to get better rates on life insurance!